FRAUD PREVENTION SERVICE
Here’s how it works:
- When potential fraud is detected, you will receive an automatic email notification from us, with the option to reply with "fraud" or "no fraud".
- One minute after the email, you will receive a text alert from 32874 between 7am and 9pm, with the option to reply with "fraud" or "no fraud" option.
- If there is no response received from you, five minutes after the text alert, you will receive automatic phone calls to confirm or deny fraud. Remember - our messages will never ask for your PIN or account number.
*The phone number for our Fraud Center is 1-800-417-4592. If you add this number to your phone contacts and label it “Fraud Center,” it will display whenever you get a call from this number.
WATCHING FOR VISA CHECK CARD FRAUD
Northern Skies FCU utilizes fraud detection and prevention services which has Fraud Analysts that operate 24/7. These analysts have a variety of tools available to help them recognize potential fraud.
TO CATCH A THIEF
Some of these tools involve alerts that are placed on certain types of card transactions. For example, Fraud Analysts may be watching for:
- Multiple high dollar amount transactions taking place in a short period of time.
- Transactions with merchants who are considered high risk or suspicious.
- A transaction that takes place in a country where a large amount of fraud is occurring.
- Multiple failed attempts to enter the correct PIN.
- A pattern of spending that is completely different than what you have exhibited in the past.
- These are just a few of many different events that can trigger an alert. A sophisticated computer program helps analysts spot problems and see spending patterns that are unusual.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
There are a few simple things you can do to keep fraud at a minimum and keep our fraud prevention experts informed:
- If you are planning to travel to a foreign country or to place an unusually large expense on your credit card, call your credit union and let us know.
- If you receive a call from a fraud analyst, he or she has received an alert of possible fraud. Your cooperation can help stop theft. You may be asked questions such as "Did you make a purchase today at XYZ store?" Remember: a real Fraud Analyst will never ask you for your card number. If you are suspicious of the call, hang up and contact your credit union.
- If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately. Call or visit www.reportmycards.com to report your missing card and also contact Northern Skies about replacing the card.
- Do not reply to emails that ask for your credit or debit card number, Northern Skies FCU is the best place to go for questions or concerns.
Remember: In any event that you have a question or concern about your financial security make sure to contact a trusted Northern Skies FCU representative right away!